Bander Center Signature Event Series
A Discussion with David Courtwright, Ph.D., and Corinna Treitel, Ph.D.
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020
Time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Saint Louis History Museum
5700 Lindell Boulevard
St. Louis, MO 63112
Details: Open to the public, CME credit available, networking reception follows
Additional details forthcoming.
Signature Event Archives
- Claudia Fegan, M.D., "Physician Activism in Today’s America." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D. , MBA. Saint Louis University Museum of Art | September 26, 2019 | Read more
- Sonny Saggar, M.D., "Social Entrepreneurship and Urban Healthcare." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D. , MBA. Saint Louis University, Pere Marquette Gallery | April 30, 2019 | Read more
- Jerry Menikoff, M.D., J.D., "The Revised Common Rule and Oversight of Human Subjects Research." Moderated by Elizabeth Pendo, J.D. Contemporary Art Museum | March 07, 2019 | Read more
- Steve Miller, M.D., "Valuing Drugs: Biopharma, Profit, and Patients." Moderated by Anthony Mikulec, M.D. MBA. The Cortex Innovation Hall | February 21, 2019 | Read more
- Wendell Potter, "Healthcare Financing and the Levers of Power." Moderated by Harold Braswell, Ph.D. Saint Louis University, Busch Student Center | December 07, 2018 | Read more
- Philip Alderson, M.D. "The Ethics of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare and Beyond." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University, Sinquefield Stateroom, DuBourg Hall | November 08, 2018 | Read more
- Spencer Wells, Ph.D. "You are Unique! The Future of Personal Genomics."Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University, Il Monastero | September 29, 2018 | Read more
- Patrick McCruden, D. Bioethics, MTS, BCC. "Taking Catholic Health Care into the 21st Century: A Conversation with Patrick McCruden." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. St. Louis Union Station, Regency Ballroom | April 13, 2018 | Read more
- Gloria Wilder, M.D., MPH. "The Business of Social Transformation: Driving Value in the American Health Care System." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Learning Resource Center | March 9, 2018 | Read more
- Heidi Miller, M.D., Patrice Pye, Ph.D. "Chronic Pain and the Opioid Crisis." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University, Cupples House | February 22, 2018 | Read more
- Elisabeth Rosenthal, M.D. "The Trillion Dollar Industry." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Health Sciences Education Union Auditorium | November 17, 2017 | Read more
- Catalina Freixas, LEED AP BD+C and Harold Braswell, Ph.D. "A New Urban Hospital in St. Louis: Sustainability, Accessibility, Parity." Moderated by Jason Keune, M.D., MBA. Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Health Sciences Education Union Auditorium | November 2, 2017 | Read more
- Ed Weisbart, M.D. "Is Healthcare a Human Right, or Just Good for Business." Saint Louis University School of Medicine, Health Sciences Education Union Auditorium | September 7, 2017
Endowed Lecture Series
Some Observations about Conflicts of Interest in Research
Jerry Menikoff, M.D., J.D.
Director, Office for Human Research Protections
The Business of Social Transformation: Driving Value in the American Health Care System
Gloria Wilder, M.D., MPH
Vice President, Innovation and Preventive Health
Catalyzing Transformation in Residency Education Through and Towards Professionalism
David J. Doukas, M.D.
William Ray Moore Endowed Chair, Family Medicine and Medical Humanism
Professor & Director, Division of Medical Humanism and Ethics
Department of Family and Geriatric Medicine
Co-Director, Interdisciplinary Master of Arts in Bioethics and Medical Humanities
University of Louisville
Giving Thanks: The Law and Ethics of Grateful Patient Fundraising
Stacey A. Tovino, J.D., Ph.D.
Lehman Professor of Law
Director, Health Law Program
UNLV William S. Boyd School of Law
Is the Business of Medicine Different? For-Profit Hospice as Case Study
Joshua E. Perry, J.D., MTS
Assistant Professor, Business Law and Ethics
Research Coordinator, Center for the Business of Life Sciences at Indiana University
Reforming Medical Business Ethics: A Personalistic Approach
Ashley K. Fernandes, M.D., Ph.D.
Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine, Dayton Children's Hospital
Medical Decision-Making and the Web of Influence: Physician Narratives on Conflicts of Interest
James DuBois Ph.D., D.Sc.
Hubert Maeder Professor of Health Care Ethics
Director, Bander Center for Medical Business Ethics
Saint Louis University Center for Health Care Ethics
Partnerships Between Academic Health Centers and Industry: Opportunities, Challenges, and Pitfalls
Bernard Lo, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Director, Medical Ethics Program
University of California, San Francisco (UCSF)
Conflicts of Interest in Medicine
Marcia Angell, M.D.
Senior Lecturer, Department of Social Medicine
Harvard Medical School
Conflicts of Interest in Academic Medicine: Where We Were, Where We Are, and Where We Might Be Headed
William Sage, M.D., J.D.
Vice Provost, Health Affairs
James R. Dougherty Chair, Faculty Excellence in Law
The University of Texas at Austin
Health Care Band-Aids: How to Fix America's Ailing Health Care System
Ezekiel Emanuel, M.D., Ph.D.
Chair, Department of Bioethics
National Institutes of Health Clinical Center
2008 Inaugural Lecture
Ethics and Pay for Performance (P4P): What is Known of the Effects of P4P on Physician Ethics and the Patient-Physician Relationship?
Matthew Wynia, M.D., MPH
Director, Institute of Ethics
American Medical Association
- Gunner O'Brien. "Who Selects Quality Measures in the 21st Century?" American Society for Bioethics and Humanities (ASBH) 2018 Annual Conference; Anaheim, CA | October 20, 2018
- Tyler Zahrli, M.D., Ph.D. Trainee, 26th Association for Practical and Professional Ethics (APPE) Annual Conference; Dallas, TX | February 25, 2017
- Erin Bakanas, M.D., M.A. "Ethics." Session Director, New Housestaff Orientation. SSM Health-Saint Louis University Hospital | June 21, 2016
- Erin Bakanas, M.D., M.A. "Professional Decision Making in Medicine." Facilitator, Senior Medical Student Capstone, Saint Louis University School of Medicine | April 27 and 29, 2016
- Erin Bakanas, M.D., M.A. "Blessing of the Hands." Facilitator, Ceremony for 3rd year Medical Students, Saint Louis University School of Medicine | April 6, 2016
- Erin Bakanas, M.D., M.A. "Who's Buying Lunch?---Physician Interactions with Industry." Facilitator, Primary Care Capstone, Saint Louis University School of Medicine | March 23, 2016
- Bander Center Publishes Casebook: "Exploring Integrity in Medicine. " Casebook to foster medical business ethics education with medical students and residents | 2014