Congratulations on nearing the end of your undergraduate career. Join the SLU-Madrid community for the Midyear Commencement on December 19, 2018 and Commencement on May 10 and 11, 2019.
SLU-Madrid will celebrate the Midyear Commencement on Friday, Dec. 20, 2019, at 5 p.m. in the auditorium of Colegio Mayor Vedruna located in Plaza Presidente García Moreno 2. The ceremony lasts approximately one hour. A reception at San Ignacio Hall located in calle Amapolas 3 will follow.
Note that families and guests are invited to enter the auditorium directly upon arrival. Degree candidates (students) and faculty, dressed in caps and gowns, will meet at the building’s entrance at 4:45 p.m. The procession into the auditorium will begin at 4:55 p.m.
- More information about the Midyear Commencement ceremony
- Eligibility requirements for participation in the ceremony
Friday, May 10
Annual Awards Ceremony
We will recognize the outstanding achievements of SLU-Madrid’s students, faculty and staff at the Annual Awards Ceremony at 6 p.m. in San Ignacio Hall, Calle Amapolas 3. Join us at the reception afterward to toast the graduates.
Saturday, May 11
The Baccalaureate Mass will be held at 10:30 a.m. at the Real Monasterio de Santa Isabel, Calle Santa Isabel 48.
SLU-Madrid will celebrate the Commencement ceremony at noon in the Edificio Nouvel - Auditorium 400 of the Reina Sofia Museum. The ceremony lasts approximately one hour. A reception will follow.
Families and guests are invited to enter the auditorium directly upon arrival via the access of Ronda de Atocha s/n. Degree candidates (students) and faculty, dressed in caps and gowns, will meet at the vestibule of the museum at 11:45 a.m. Please don’t be late. The procession into the auditorium will begin at 11:50 a.m.
There are a limited number of seats in the auditorium. Each graduate may invite up to four guests to the ceremony. Guests will be asked to show their invitation at the entrance. If a graduate wishes to request additional invitations, he/she must email the Director of Student Life, Ms. Marta Maruri (email@example.com), no later than April 21, explaining the reasons for the request. After April 21, any spare invitations will be distributed among those who contacted Ms. Maruri.
Caps and Gowns
To participate in the ceremony, graduates must be attired in caps and gowns. Gowns will be available for purchase in the SLU-Madrid bookstore until Friday, December 14 for the Mid-Year Commencement and until Friday, May 3 for the Commencement. SLU-Madrid provides each graduate with a tassel free of charge with purchase of toga. For more information, contact Ms. Marta Sánchez-Paulete (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the bookstore.
Diplomas are not distributed during the ceremony. Saint Louis University will send diplomas to the contact address graduates have provided in their application.
As you prepare to graduate from Saint Louis University, complete the following steps to make sure that you have everything in place to receive your degree on time. One year before you plan to graduate, double check that you have completed all graduation requirements:
- Make sure that you have declared your major and minor and that they appear correctly on your transcript in Banner Self Service.
- Fill out checklists for your major and minor.
- Make sure that you have completed all core requirements.
- Make sure that you have completed 120 credits. Remember that it’s possible to fulfill all major, minor and core requirements and still not have 120 credits.
- Make sure that you do not need additional electives.
- Check your grade point average. Your GPA must be above 2.0 in the major and the minor to be eligible for graduation.
- Meet with your academic advisor to review everything.
- Fill out the Application for Graduation. The term refers to your last term of study, when your degree will be awarded, which may be different from the actual graduation ceremony (commencement) date.
A graduation fee will be charged to all students on the semester that they apply and are approved for graduation. The amount of the fee can be found on the tuition and fees page.
Students should discuss their specific degree requirements with their advisers throughout their academic careers. While an advisor is there to help you in planning and confirming your progress toward graduation, ultimately it’s your responsibility to be aware of the requirements for graduation and the number of hours you have to complete toward graduation.
Changes in undergraduate degree requirements must be approved by the last day of the spring semester in order to take effect in the following academic year. Such changes must be communicated immediately to the university registrar. Deans, by exception, may allow you to take advantage of new degree requirements immediately if the exception will allow you to complete degree requirements.
The general requirements for earning a baccalaureate degree from Saint Louis University are as follows:
- The satisfactory fulfillment of the lower- and upper-division course requirements within each area.
- The completion of no less than 120 semester hours of credit (excluding lower-division military science and physical-education courses) with an overall grade point average of 2.0. Grade point averages are figured on the basis of hours attempted (not merely hours passed) and grade points earned.
- At least 30 of the last 36 semester hours of your degree program must be taken at the Madrid or St. Louis campuses of Saint Louis University. Individual schools or colleges may have policies that vary from this norm.
- A degree candidate must submit an online application for graduation before the end of the second week of the semester or session in which graduation is intended. Students must be in good academic standing to file the application.
- Because of the progress being made in various fields of learning, collegiate credits earned more than 10 calendar years prior to graduation will be reevaluated. If circumstances warrant, you may be required to take further work or repeat certain courses before a degree is conferred.
- Seniors who have a grade of Incomplete in any course needed for graduation should clear the record and have the change of grade submitted on appropriate forms to the academic dean’s office by April 1 for May graduation, July 1 for August graduation and by Dec. 1 for January graduation.
- All course requirements for a degree must be completed or be in progress before or during the semester for degree conferral. The University will award a degree if all required course work is completed and needed documentation received, within 40 calendar days of the University conferral date. Beyond 40 calendar days, awarding of the diploma will be deferred to the next university conferral date. See individual schools/colleges for additional graduation requirements.
- Students who participate in an internship must complete it prior to the official conferral of their degrees. Once the degree has been awarded, the University will not be able to sign an internship agreement.
Determination of honors and cumulative grade point averages will be made at the time of graduation. For the purpose of computing honors and cumulative University, departmental or college grade point averages, any grade of “I” will be calculated as an “F.” Honors will not be recomputed if the “I” is subsequently changed to another grade. Any grade of “I” remaining on your record at the time of graduation must be resolved within 30 calendar days of the commencement date, at which time the “I” will automatically be converted to an “F."
Averages for graduation honors are computed only on the basis of course work taken in the schools or colleges of Saint Louis University. Students receiving a first baccalaureate degree must have completed 54 earned semester hours in residence at Saint Louis University in order to be eligible to graduate with honors. A student with a baccalaureate degree from another institution may be awarded a second baccalaureate degree with academic honors if at least 48 credit hours are earned at Saint Louis University and the minimum grade point average (based on Saint Louis University course work only) is satisfied.
Graduation honors are awarded as follows:
- Cum laude for a grade point average of 3.5 to 3.699
- Magna cum laude for a grade point average of 3.7 to 3.899
- Summa cum laude for a grade point average of 3.9 to 4.0