The Saint Louis University Policy Program was created to provide structure and clarity to the review and approval process for policies at the University.
The policy program is guided by the University Policy on Policies. The Office of Compliance and Ethics is dedicated to providing the appropriate guidance to SLU personnel who are working to create or update policies and procedures at the University. The policy process is applicable to University wide policies, although units and departments wishing to follow best practices in policy implementation are welcome to reach out to the chief policy officer for assistance.
Current Policies Under Review
- Workplace Violence Prevention Policy
The purpose of this policy is to provide a safe work environment. The University does not tolerate behavior, whether direct or through the use of University facilities, technology, property, or other resources, that is violent; threatens violence; harasses, or intimidates others; interferes with an individual’s legal rights of movement or expression or; disrupts the workplace, academic environment, or the University’s ability to provide service to the public. Feedback on this policy will be accepted until January 3, 2020.
About the Policy Program
The University policy program provides structure and clarity to the policy approval process. The policy program includes:
- The designation of a policy owner.
- A policy must be sponsored by a Responsible University Official, someone at the Vice-President or Provost level, this will ensure adequate buy-in at the top with new policies.
- Policies must use standard University templates, old policies as they are updated will change to the new format.
- Policies will be moved into PolicyStat, the centralized policy library, found within mySLU:Tools.
- University policies will be reviewed and approved by the Policy Review Committee (PRC). After approval, new policies will be posted for a 30-day public feedback period. Following the 30-day feedback period for new policies, they will be reviewed and approved by the University Leadership Council (ULC) before final approval by the president. Updated policies will move straight from the PRC to the ULC.
- The PRC is comprised of individuals with operational knowledge of the university who can advise and provide feedback to the policy owners who present to the committee.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have a general policy question, contact the Chief Policy Officer, Michael Reeves, Ph.D. at 314-977-5880 or Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a question about a specific policy, please contact the policy owner listed on the policy itself. This information can be found within PolicyStat.
During the review of new policies, there will be a 30-day feedback window for comments by the SLU community.
Approved policies can be found in PolicyStat.
New policies are to be reviewed on a triennial basis; current policies will be reviewed over the next few years as they come up for the renewal date.
The policy owner has the responsibility to ensure adequate review by key end users. After this review, policies are first approved by the Policy Review Committee, then approved by the University Leadership Council, before final approval by the president.
A policy is a statement of University philosophy and direction established to provide guidance and assistance to the University community in the conduct of University affairs. A University policy has broad application across the University, whereas a unit/department policy impacts only those specific areas.